Researchers at the Wellesley Stone Center for Relational Therapy identified the characteristics of healthy relationships.
Individuals in healthy relationships experience:
- Clarity and ability to act
- Decision making seems less burdensome and fearful
- Desire for more connection
- Hiding parts of self becomes less necessary
- Increased self-awareness and sensitivity to others
- Zest and increased energy
Individuals in unhealthy relationships experience:
- Decisions are difficult
- Decreased energy and vitality
- Turning towards addictions as a way to relieve the pain of disconnection
- Withdraw from human connection as well as hobbies and self-care
Our Philadelphia relationship counselors realize that improving relationships with others as well as developing respect for yourself is necessary for healing your heart. Whether it is about increasing health in your romantic relationship or developing a supportive network of friendships, trusting others is essential. My belief is that deep lasting friendships where there is genuine connection is crucial for healing from confusion, shame and the pain of isolation.
In my practice, I encourage each patient to begin by connecting with a safe, nurturing therapist. Only after the bond is developed can a person begin to unravel his story. Only in a healthy, therapeutic relationship can you begin to understand the relationship difficulties in your life.
For more information on how the Philadelphia couples therapy and relationship counselors at Dr. Alyson Nerenberg Psychology Associates, PC can help you, call 610-331-7303 or contact us online. We work with couples throughout Philadelphia and its surrounding areas, including Bucks County, Chester County, Delaware County and Montgomery County.